About Me

My photo
My name is Alex and I am a full-time student nurse living in Birmingham. I thought I'd blog my way through my training to give others some insight and information, as well as giving myself a lovely reminder of how far I've come on this seemingly long and sometimes difficult journey. Enjoy!

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Patient Handling Training...Week 6

So today I had my 2 1/2 hours of patient handling training! Which I very much enjoyed! One thing I must say is...all the staff that train nurses and healthcare workers are just so charismatic and lovely! The person we had today was hilarious and being taught in a fun environment definitely helps you take on board the information.

We learnt the proper ways to move and carry objects and patients. It's so surprising all the bad habits we have as humans! The majority of us don't even sit or stand properly! So learning the best ways to help a patient to stand, move them in bed etc. etc. was eye opening! Studies suggest that 1/3 of nurses will end their career due to injury at work through bad technique and poor posture!

Fingers crossed that isn't me, I will try my hardest to stick to the advise we have been given, but when moving a patient up the bed it hurt my shoulder a little so I can definitely see how easy it is to injure yourself.

I've been dying to write another blog post but I told myself no, not until I have had another lecture! haha

Also, I couldn't sleep last night (once again) and only got 3 hours kip :( so I had a nap from 5-8pm and am hoping I'll be away with the fairies around 10-11pm!

I bought a couple of books at Tesco today, one called 'District Nurse' and another called 'Tales of a Midwife', I do not like fictional novels, I much prefer autobiographies and factual things so these should help me read more and give me some background info on my profession !
Not to forget a lovely diary I bought, as I have so much spare time I want to write down what I'm thinking for most days, will be lovely to look back on once I am qualified :)

Anyway guys, thank you for reading this!
Lots of Love,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment