About Me

My photo
My name is Alex and I am a full-time student nurse living in Birmingham. I thought I'd blog my way through my training to give others some insight and information, as well as giving myself a lovely reminder of how far I've come on this seemingly long and sometimes difficult journey. Enjoy!

Wednesday 2 May 2012

5 Weeks In...

So tonight is Wednesday and there are a couple of bank holidays coming up so I'm off until Tuesday! Going back home as per usual!

So I want to talk you briefly through my experiences so far!
I began my course on Monday 2nd April 2012, very excited after finally getting away from my previous course which I hated with a passion!
Feeling quite lonely and confused, also being 1 of about 10 people who were actually living on campus made it harder to fit in as 95% of the people I study with are from this area.
I made friends with my flatmates quickly which helped things so much but I still feel lonely at uni. I'm not a party animal, I have friends at home, and a long-term boyfriend who I love to the stars and back, not forgetting my wonderful family who I love so so much. I do find it hard staying away from home, so I go home every weekend which sometimes, I question. I think it actually makes me more dependant on my home town.

So anyway, so far we have had many introductory lectures and lots of physiology thrown at us (SO grateful I took Biology A-Level!) not forgetting some basic skills sessions which have been fun too.
After 5 weeks I really can't wait to go on placement. The lecturers mentioned that after a month or so we would feel restless, but I didn't think I'd feel this restless, with 13 weeks to go I will just have to try and stay focused on July 30th.

I realise I haven't painted the best picture yet, but seriously, nursing is amazing. And I haven't even nursed anyone yet!
It's such an amazing profession that I'm so proud to be a part of, I can't wait to provide care to the people who need it. Nursing really is my calling.(At least I think so)
Obviously I don't have any interesting stories yet, because I haven't really done anything! There isn't much to do, I sat in the library today trying to do some work but when there really isn't any, it's quite hard to make up work for yourself!

At 19 years old I never thought I would be the 'baby' of the course. There are a few others my age, but oh so many older people. I have noticed that people seem to realise nursing is for them, it just clicks and then no matter what age (and I'm talking 60s!!) they go for it! I'm glad to be starting young, so I can have a long and hopefully fruitful career, but I can see how I have a lot less experience than some others.

I just want to add, if you are reading this and debating on what you want to do in life, and believe nursing may be it, get some experience, work in a nursing home, speak to nurses etc... Once it hits you that this is what you want to do, you'll never look back! Don't just go into nursing 'because'. It's something that needs a certain type of person, and without that care and compassion you will not enjoy your job for long!

Thank you for reading my first post, it is quite a jumble as I don't quite know how to write all the things I've done without making it into a 10,000 word essay!
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment