About Me

My photo
My name is Alex and I am a full-time student nurse living in Birmingham. I thought I'd blog my way through my training to give others some insight and information, as well as giving myself a lovely reminder of how far I've come on this seemingly long and sometimes difficult journey. Enjoy!

Monday 20 January 2014

Community Placement...Year 2 Week 43

Hiya guys hope you're all well?

Sorry for being MIA, went home for Christmas and really been valuing my time with friends and family :).

So I started my community placement last week and so far I absolutely love it! The staff are all so lovely and friendly, plus it's so chilled compared to working on the ward. Which is something I'm really enjoying as it's coming to the end of my 2nd year and I don't want anything too demanding before I start my 3rd year.

The thing with community is you care for people in their own home, so it's a totally different environment and often enough; it's not really suitable for medical practice.
For example: I went to visit a woman with my mentor, she was morbidly obese and bed bound and her husband was not one for 'cleanliness' shall we say. Long story short the floor and the husbands feet were covered in dog hair and poo and the dog weed and pooed on cue for us! How pleasant.

The main thing with that kind of nursing is to remember to not be judgemental; people live their lives in many different ways and just because that may not be how you would choose to live doesn't mean it's wrong.

I also cleaned and dressed a mans leg ulcers. They were in such a bad way the exudate was horrendous! Was fun though :D haha.

Anyway I will be sure to keep updating you with anything new or exciting that happens :)

Take care my lovelies xx

No comments:

Post a Comment